Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Girls Camp–Okinawa Style

I had the opportunity to go to Girls Camp with our branch during April. It was definitely different from the way I experienced camp as a youth, but the spirit there was just the same. First off, they do Girls Camp during Spring Break because so many people come and go during the summer and it’s hard to do Girls Camp without any girls. Second, we actually camped in tents and cooked without a kitchen! The theme of camp was “Finishers Wanted,” taken from a talk given by Thomas S. Monson. The first day we set up camp, went hiking, returned and had pamper time (I only observed this part), and did skits. The second day we had classes and participated in the program, “Lehi’s Dream.” The third day we did a field day activity to learn more about being a finisher and we finished the night with testimony meeting. Then, on the fourth day, it was time to clean up the camp site and go home. I think the girls that attended enjoyed it; I know I did!

DSC03797DSC03798

Me with my branch. We were Captain Moroni’s Warriorettes.

DSC03799DSC03800

Getting ready to go on the hike.

DSC03811DSC03823

Eating lunch on the hike (Left) and hiking (Right). I almost hit my head on that sign.

DSC03824DSC03826

The hike got pretty steep and we had to use ropes at times (left), but we made it to the top of the mountain! (Right: Sister Rupp, Sister Nixon, me)

DSC03828DSC03847

I tried coaching them in how to pose for pictures (left). Captain Moroni’s armor was shining super bright one day to the point where it was blinding! (right)

DSC03859DSC03860DSC03861

We did an activity with our girls about distractions. There are good and bad distractions. The leaders put labels of good distractions on. The girls had to try to get from point A to point B without getting hit by distractions (nylon balls filled with flour). You can see it was quite the battle we had!

DSC03866DSC03873

Sister Nixon battling one of the youth from our branch. They battled there for quite some time (left). More posing with Captain Moroni (right).

DSC03898DSC03901

Our camp cook did a fabulous job. This is me admiring the delicious Dutch oven cornbread (left). Some mornings we would wake up and Captain Moroni had a new look. This happens to be one of them (right).

Camp was a blast! I can’t wait to do it again!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun, very different than the way it is here in AZ but just as spiritual of an experience I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me how we camped. We didnt have cabins. we slept on the ground and made our own food. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow i don't even know what its like to hold a real calling. i think the oldest kid in our ward is like 6 maybe lol. maybe someday i'll get to experience it =]

    ReplyDelete