Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dragon Boat Racing

At the beginning of May, I had the opportunity to attend the Dragon Boat Races. It was held during the day, so Chris was unable to attend. There are many teams that participate, including Men and Women teams from the different military branches. They practice hard for many months in preparation for one race that lasts about 5 minutes. I knew some people participating on the Navy Women’s team and the Army Women’s team, which made it that much better. It rained A LOT that day, but that didn’t stop these dragon boat racers!

DSC00937 DSC00941

Here is a glimpse at what the dragon boats look like. They only use 3 boat the whole day, so that is why you only get one race and hope to have the best time.

DSC00946

A close up of a dragon boat racing team.

DSC00955

I even got a picture with one of the coaches from the Navy Women’s team! (I actually serve with her in the Young Women’s program at church, but don’t judge me!)

DSC00965

The Navy Women’s team loading up for their race.

DSC00972

The announcer only spoke Japanese while he introduced the teams, so they would hold in their ready pose waiting for the noise of the gun to start them.

DSC00974

And they won! They raced against 2 other men’s teams and destroyed them. They had the overall best race time for any women’s team there that day.

DSC00976

Way to go Navy!

No comments:

Post a Comment