Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Summertime

Sorry it’s been so long since I last blogged. We are too busy soaking up the sun and working on our tans. Actually, I have procrastinated blogging because I dread dealing with our outrageously slow internet. So what do I do? I put it to the test by loading a bunch of pictures in one post. Here are some pictures of our fun summer.

DSC01041     DSC01056

This is for you Krystal. I braved going to the zoo with 10 kids and 2 other adults. I made sure to take a picture with the fake giraffe and picture of the real giraffes just for you. So yes, there are giraffes here, I just don’t think they are native to the island.

IMG_1146

Chris got to go on a scouting “High Adventure” and I was totally jealous. They snorkeled, kayaked, rock climbed, river trekked and other “manly” things. I would say they camped, but I wouldn’t say staying in cabins is camping. He did take a lot of pictures of the 3-day adventure, but I’d have to have him here to explain them.

IMG_7788 DSC01120

So out of my jealousy, I planned a YW River Trekking activity which included seeing a bat cave. Thanks to my pal, Ali, this activity was a huge success! Pictures of this outing can be viewed in my Facebook photos.

Babysitting the Jensens

DSC01125

On our way to the Neal birthday party and we’re so excited! (Well, most of us)

DSC01127 DSC01133

Me teaching the kids to use the squirt guns and a lovely Okinawa sunset.

DSC01145 DSC01155

Breck swinging away at the piñata and Stevie anxiously waiting for her turn.

DSC01167 DSC01178

Taking the kids to see Zakimi Castle.

DSC01196 DSC01200

Another view of the castle grounds. Cape Zanpa Lighthouse was just down the road, so we took them there, too.

DSC01224 DSC01232

At the top of the lighthouse. I think the adventure may have been to much for the youngsters. But there was more to be seen.

DSC01236

We met a small group visiting from China and they were so kind to take our picture in front of this statue. We’ll have to work on imitating statues better since we are pointing the opposite direction. But everything is backwards in Japan, right?

Culture Day with the Youth

We took the youth to a couple sites in Okinawa. The first sight was the Shikinaen Royal Gardens. Chris and I already had visited this site, so I felt no need to take pictures. My bad. We then had lunch and a few of the youth had to be back in time for prior obligations. Chris had the small car, so he was stuck taking them home. I was able to stay and see the other site, Seifa-Utaki. This is another sacred Okinawa shrine.

DSC01268 DSC01273

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad there are giraffes in Japan!!!!! Thanks for posting those pictures! Can I ask who those kids are? I'm a tad jealous you have a real calling and get to be in a real ward. Mine has like 4 kids in primary. If you don't get a calling in R.S. you pretty much don't have one lol

    ReplyDelete