So, it was New Year’s eve in 2011, and Chris had the day off. I’ve always been the type of person who likes to get out, even if it is just for a quick errand. I hate being stuck inside the house all day. With so much to see and do on Okinawa, I wasn’t going to let this day get away without us doing a little site seeing. So we invited our friends, The Olsons, packed a lunch and headed north. We drove to the northern tip of Okinawa, Cape Hedo. As tiny as the island actually is, it took us 2-3 hours to get there because the “Expressway” only goes about halfway up the island. Basically, Cape Hedo is where the East China Sea and Pacific Ocean meet.
Chris making us some sandwiches for lunch(left) and a map showing where Cape Hedo is(right).
Chris and Whitty decided to climb up to the point. Check out how sharp those rocks are! Being pregnant, I again opted out and decided to play it safe.
They made it!
Teanna keeping me company while the boys went to the tip(left) and me in front of the bird statue(right).
After eating our lunch, we felt like there was still so much of our day left, so we decided to stop at another place on our way back down the island. Neo Park was on the map and easy to find so we stopped there. Neo Park is a zoo with mostly birds, but has other animals as well. What is unique about Neo Park is most of the animals you can walk right next to. We bought our tickets for the train ride as well as general admission, but the train was so slow and the tour guide only spoke in Japanese, so it wasn’t really worth it, but it was an adventure nonetheless.
The entrance to Neo Park (left) and the infamous train (right).
Ready for the epic train ride.
No one wanted to take a picture here. I wonder why?
I think the animal on the right may be pregnant or it’s been eating a lot of french fries lately.
After Neo Park, we were getting hungry and it was getting close to dinner time. We had heard about this restaurant up north called, “Pizza in the Sky.” Since we were fairly close, we decided to check it out. We have mixed feelings on the place. The view from the restaurant was amazing, but we felt the food was ok and definitely over-priced. I guess we were paying for the view, too!
The unique menu.
Our pizzas: Pepperoni and Specialty (by the way, the Okinawans love to put corn on their pizzas)
No comments:
Post a Comment